Sanford House at John Street is a residential addiction treatment facility for adult men in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Its massive stone walls and a river rock foundation exemplify strength; the home itself is a metaphor to the life-changing work taking place within its walls. Further, the bedrooms at John Street have been outfitted for a great night’s sleep. There are two or three residents per room, providing the opportunity for bonding with roommates. And because our facilities are intentionally non-institutional, the living spaces feel like home. During downtime, residents can read, watch sports and play ping-pong in the rec room. Every space is designed to promote community and generate a sense of ease.
Why Gender-Specific Treatment?
Research shows that gender-specific residential treatment is effective in treating trauma, mental health conditions, and substance use disorders. Why? Because addiction treatment for men differs from treatment for women in their pathways to addiction and co-occurring disorders. Also, men and women have different reasons for entering treatment, different needs within the treatment continuum, and different goals for recovery. Gender separation addresses:
- Communication of gender-specific issues
- Processing traumatic experiences more comfortably in a gender-specific environment
- Removal of potential barriers to treatment
- Sharing freely and honestly with same-gender peers
- The creation of friendships and strengthened bonding behaviors
- The elimination of male to female distractions
Addiction Treatment for Men
Giving Residents Privacy, Comfort and Respect
The residential program at John Street creates an atmosphere of camaraderie and trust. Clinicians are knowledgeable about addiction, and they tailor treatment to the strengths and preferences of each patient. Sanford House at John Street offers its residents privacy, comfort and respect.
Features of Sanford House at John Street – Addiction Treatment for Men
- A multi-disciplinary team of medical and clinical professionals
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- Male gendered therapeutic approaches
- 20 comfortable beds
- Residential treatment level of care
- Science-based therapeutic approaches
- Wellness activities and private chef
- Beautiful surroundings
- Individual, group and family therapy
- Full continuum of care for long-term recovery
- Residential, Day Programs, Intensive Outpatient and Outpatient Programs
- In-Person and Virtual Options
- Robust excursions and outside AA/NA and community recovery meetings
- The family/alumni program
At Sanford, we create a consistent system of treatment that guides residents through all levels of treatment intensity. In fact, a long-term continuum of treatment programs, classes and resources are key to recovery. We have created myriad opportunities for our patients to stay connected and supported. Our outpatient groups, support and alumni groups, and telehealth options are available and convenient.